Sponsor Work-Based Learning
Their education. Your industry's future.
- Inspire youth to consider rewarding career pathways.
- Inspire a teacher to learn more about your exciting industry.
- Sponsor a work-based learning opportunity for a student or a teacher.
Career preparation and work-based learning experiences, especially STEM, are essential in order to form and develop aspirations and to make informed choices about careers. These experiences can be provided during the school day, or through after-school programs, and will require collaborations with other organizations. All youth need information on career options, including:
- Career assessments to help identify students' school and post-school preferences and interests
- Structured exposure to post-secondary education and other life-long learning opportunities
- Exposure to career opportunities that ultimately lead to a living wage, including information about educational requirements, entry requirements, income and benefits potential, and asset accumulation
- Training or internships designed to improve job-seeking skills and work-place basic skills
In order to identify and attain career goals, youth need to be exposed to a range of experiences, including:
- Opportunities to engage in a range of work-based exploration activities such as site visits and job shadowing
- Multiple on-the-job training experiences, including community service (paid or unpaid) that is specifically linked to the content of a program of study and school credit
- Opportunities to learn and practice their work skills (“soft skills”), and
- Opportunities to learn first-hand about specific occupational skills related to a career pathway.
Let's not forget about the teacher. Externships provide valuable experience for teachers to better understand needs of industry.
Become a partner. Submit an Opportunity.